MENU

All Documents

ca. 1602
In 1602, York herald Ralph Brooke challenged 23 coats of arms granted by William Dethick, including the arms originally granted to Shakespeare’s father, John Shakespeare, and now belonging to William Shakespeare.
1602
In 1602, Ralph Brooke, York Herald, contested 23 coats of arms granted by William Dethick, Garter King of Arms, including the arms originally granted to Shakespeare’s father, John Shakespeare, and now belonging to William Shakespeare.
July 20, 1604
SHAKESPEARE DOCUMENTED IS STILL GROWING! Descriptive content and transcriptions will continue to be added, updated and expanded. Check back for regular updates!
May 5, 1606
Under the Elizabethan Settlement, as defined in the Act of Supremacy of 1558 and the Act of Uniformity of 1559, every man and woman was expected to receive Holy Communion three times a year. Easter had to be one of these three occasions.
June 5, 1607
Susanna Shakespeare and John Hall were married on June 5, 1607, according to the Holy Trinity Church parish register. Next to the entry, an “X” added by a later hand highlights its significance. Susanna, William and Anne Shakespeare’s daughter, was 24.
August 12, 1607
SHAKESPEARE DOCUMENTED IS STILL GROWING! Descriptive content and transcriptions will continue to be added, updated and expanded. Check back for regular updates!
December 31, 1607
SHAKESPEARE DOCUMENTED IS STILL GROWING! Descriptive content and transcriptions will continue to be added, updated and expanded. Check back for regular updates!
September 9, 1608
Mary Shakespeare, William Shakespeare’s mother, was buried on September 9, 1608, according to the Holy Trinity Church parish register. Next to the entry, an “X” added by a later hand highlights its significance.
February 21, 1608
Elizabeth, John and Susanna Shakespeare Hall’s first (and only) child and William and Anne Shakespeare’s granddaughter, was baptized on February 21, 1608, according to the Holy Trinity Church parish register.
April 1, 1610
The Hathaway family of Shottery can be traced back to the late fifteenth century. The extent of their land holdings is first documented in a survey of 1556 which records that John Hathaway held them of the lord of the manor by copy of court roll, dated April 20, 1543, for an annual rent of 33s.

Pages