Founded in 1517 by the statesman cleric Richard Fox, Corpus Christi College was the first Humanist establishment in Oxford. Today one of the smallest of the Oxford colleges, it has a reputation for sustaining academic excellence in a pleasant and tolerant atmosphere.

The Library’s outstanding collection of manuscripts and early printed books reflects the interest of the Founder and the early Fellowship in Renaissance learning. These special collections, built largely through the generosity of college members over five centuries, are regularly consulted by scholars from all over the world. Originally a chained collection, the Old Library building with its 17th century book-presses now houses part of the modern book collection, and is still in use as a thriving space for undergraduate study.

The special collections, which are housed in purpose-built strong-rooms, are available to external researchers by prior appointment.  More information can be found on their webpages.


Terms of use

Corpus Christi College, Oxford, has graciously contributed images from their collections to Shakespeare Documented, and retains sole ownership of said images. Visitors may download, link to and cite the images within Shakespeare Documented in personal research only. Any further use, including, but not limited to, unauthorized downloading or distribution of the images is strictly prohibited. Permission for any other use must be sought in advance from Corpus Christi College, Oxford at   

Documents contributed by Corpus Christi College, Oxford

September 1610
In September 1610, Henry Jackson (1586-1662) of Corpus Christi College, Oxford, wrote a letter in Latin to his friend “G.P.” in which he described a recent visit by Shakespeare’s company, the King’s Men.